Are you a fierce racial equity advocate? Are you just beginning your journey in understanding what racial equity in education means? Do you have a network or community that you would like to engage in critical conversations on how the state of North Carolina can ensure racial equity in education by addressing racial injustices? The Dudley Flood Center for Educational Equity and Opportunity invites community leaders to join together to create Color of Education Engagement Groups!
What is the Purpose of these Groups?
The 2021 Color of Education Engagement Groups aim to bring together, students, parents, educators, advocates, and community members from a wide range of sectors (education s, advocates, business, non-profits, state & local government, etc) to further the following goals:
- Create awareness around persistent racial inequities in the NC education system and the impacts on students, educators, and society at large.
- Foster critical conversations around tangible action steps that each individual or the collective can take to address these inequities.
- Inspire and connect future racial equity advocates and leaders committed to achieving racial equity and justice in education.
What are the Expectations of Group Leaders:
- Invite friends and colleagues to join your Engagement Group and encourage your friends to invite others into the conversation.
- Set meeting times, including joining the 2021 Virtual Color of Education Summit. We encourage you to meet as an Engagement Group at least 3x after the Color of Education. Our Leader Guide will include sample discussion questions and agenda.
- Ensure that all group members are registered for the 2021 Virtual Color of Education Summit and are present for both days of the summit.
- Set, model, and re-visit provided ground rules.
- Encourage participation and engagement in the virtual summit, as well as in group conversations.
What are the Expectations of Group Participants:
- Participate in both days of the 2021 Color of Education summit virtually.
- Utilize guiding questions to foster discussion and key takeaways.
How to get Involved
- Register for Color of Education if you have not done so already.
- Complete this Google Form if you are interested in joining a local Engagement Group for the Color of Education.
Reach out to Ashley Kazouh at email@example.com if you have any questions about creating and/or leading your own Engagement Group in your school, district, or community.